Tuesday, April 12, 2011

An die Musik: "To Music"

I would just like to take this moment to express how thankful I am for music, and its place in my life. I can't imagine how I would have gotten through the past 19 years of my life without it. It comforts and soothes my soul when nothing else can, and absolutely moves me to tears for no apparent reason. It is unexplainable and unfathomable how much music has impacted me. My thanks are unexplainable and are very hard to express in words. So why all this joy and thankgiving you ask? Well I'm working on this song this semester, and basically it is a love song to music. So, I introduce "An die Musik", by Schubert:


Is she not just absolutely elegant? mmm I think I've listened to this over and over again for the past 30 minutes as I've sat here typing this. Well the text you ask? It is in the gorgeous German language and translates to this:...and yes I did say that German was gorgeous, get over it ;)

German-                                                                      English-

Du holde Kunst, in wieviel grauen Stunden,
Wo mich des Lebens wilder Kreis umstrickt,
Hast du mein Herz zu warmer Lieb' entzunden,
Hast mich in eine beßre Welt entrückt!

Oft hat ein Seufzer, deiner Harf' entflossen,
Ein süßer, heiliger Akkord von dir
Den Himmel beßrer Zeiten mir erschlossen,
Du holde Kunst, ich danke dir dafür!
Oh lovely Art, in how many grey hours,
When life's fierce orbit ensnared me,
Have you kindled my heart to warm love,
Carried me away into a better world!

How often has a sigh escaping from your harp,
A sweet, sacred chord of yours
Opened up for me the heaven of better times,
Oh lovely Art, for that I thank you!

I can't get over the simplistic beauty of this poem, the text itself, let alone the music. So here's to channeling my inner gratefulness to this art that consumes my life, music. I can only hope I'll be able to express my thanks as I perform this piece. Thank you Schubert and Schober for this lovely reminder and for yet another much needed moment of peace.

enjoy,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment